Top 5 Healthy Shrimp Recipes — In 30 Mins or Less!
1. Shrimp Taco Salad with Wild Caught Jumbo White Shrimp
Reasons why you’ll love Shrimp Taco Salad
- It is healthy and nutritious. Shrimp is seafood that is bursting with health benefits. It provides lots of nutrients, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. So, this shrimp taco salad is something you can feel good about eating!
- Quick and easy to make. Just like traditional beef taco salad, you can prep all the vegetables while you cook the shrimp, to make the most efficient use of your time. Plus, you can cook the shrimp in the oven, air fryer or on the stove. Whichever way is the most convenient for you!
- Packed with the perfect blend of veggies. Romaine lettuce forms the bed of this salad, but a palette of color and flavor comes from purple cabbage, corn, avocado, cilantro, and tomatoes. While you can adjust the ingredients in this salad, you don’t want to miss out on any of these flavors.
- Fresh cilantro lime dressing. When paired with a fresh homemade dressing like fresh cilantro lime dressing, this shrimp taco salad gets even better! The creamy dressing compliments everything, especially the seasoned shrimp.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
To make this delicious and easy shrimp taco salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- shrimp - You will need one pound of white shrimp. To prepare them, use scissors to cut through the shell along the back of the prawns, and remove the shells and tails. Rinse to remove the veins and pat dry with paper towel.
- shrimp taco seasoning - made with olive oil, ground cumin, chili powder (optional for a kick), paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano (or Italian seasoning), salt, and ground black pepper.
- romaine lettuce
- grape tomatoes
- purple cabbage
- corn - you can use canned corn or frozen corn (boiled in water for 5 minutes).
- tortilla chips - I typically use plain unsalted tortilla chips, but you can also use seasoned tortilla chips such as Doritos.
- cilantro lime dressing - it's really easy to make homemade creamy cilantro lime dressing in about 5 minutes. You can also store-bought dressing or lime cream. Whatever is easier.
lime wedges - optional, for a squeeze of extra lime juice.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SHRIMP TACO SALAD
- Prepare the shrimp. In a medium bowl, add shrimp, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes (if you have the time).
Cook the shrimp. You can cook the shrimp in one of 3 ways -- in the oven, air fryer, or over the stove.
- To cook in the oven: Spread the shrimp evenly on a parchment lined quarter lined baking pan and bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- To cook in the air fryer: Cook the shrimp in the air fryer at 350 F for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket once halfway through.
- To cook on the stovetop: Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until shrimp turns pink and nicely browned.
- Assemble. In a large serving bowl, add all salad ingredients including lettuce, tomatoes, purple cabbage, avocado, corn, tortilla chips, and cooked shrimp.
Serve. Drizzle your Cilantro Lime Dressing on top and toss to combine.
2. Shrimp Tacos With Lime Crema Slaw
INGREDIENTS IN SHRIMP TACOS WITH LIME CREMA SLAW
If you love typical fish tacos, then you will love these. Here is what you will need:
- shrimp - I used large white shrimp. Prepare the shrimp by peeling, deveining and removing the tails.
- seasoning for the shrimp - made with a combination of cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, lime juice, oil, and salt. We also added non other than the best: Florida Boil & Seasonings
- lime crema slaw - made with a combination of shredded cabbage, cilantro, garlic, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt. For the cabbage, you can use regular cabbage or purple cabbage. I used both.
- soft taco tortillas - corn tortillas or wheat tortillas. Use corn tortillas if you want to keep this dish gluten-free.
- toppings - I topped these tacos with avocado. You could also top it with guacamole or pineapple salsa.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SHRIMP TACOS
- Prepare the shrimp: In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Toss to combine. Let it sit for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Then, cook in a 350 F air fryer for 13 minutes, shaking the basket halfway. See notes below on pan frying or grilling the shrimp instead.
- Make the lime crema slaw: In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt. In a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, cilantro, and garlic. Pour in half the lime crema sauce into the slaw and toss to combine. Save the rest of the sauce to drizzle on top.
- Heat the soft tortillas: Heat the soft tortillas according to the package instructions, or heat in an ungreased skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds per side. You can also heat it directly on a gas burner for a few seconds to get char marks on the edges.
- Assemble the tacos: Add a spoonful of slaw to each taco, top with 4 shrimp, sliced avocado, and drizzle a spoonful of sauce on top. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
3. Crispy Baked Coconut Shrimp
Crispy baked coconut shrimp is a delicious healthy appetizer that is easy to make at home in about 30 minutes. Juicy jumbo shrimp are breaded in coconut flakes, panko breadcrumbs, and lots of seasoning. These popcorn shrimp are so flavourful, way better than takeout and much healthier because they are baked and not fried.
INGREDIENTS IN BAKED COCONUT SHRIMP
To make baked coconut shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
- large shrimp or prawns - about 1 lb. or 16 pieces, peeled and deveined.
- coconut oil
- Panko breadcrumbs
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- seasoning - garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- all-purpose flour - helps the eggs stick to the shrimp, and creates a nice crust.
- eggs - helps the bread coating stick to the shrimp.
- spicy mayo dipping sauce - made with mayonnaise and hot sauce.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BAKED COCONUT SHRIMP
- Toast the breadcrumb coating. In a shallow saucepan, heat oil, breadcrumbs, and shredded coconut over medium heat. Stir constantly and toast until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in seasoning garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and remove from heat. Transfer bread mixture to a shallow plate and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Prepare the shrimp. Cut through the shell along the back with kitchen scissors. Remove the veins and the shells (keep the tails on). Rinse to remove the veins and pat dry each shrimp completely with a paper towel.
- Dredge the shrimp. Prepare another shallow plate with flour, and another with the beaten eggs. Pat dry each shrimp completely with a paper towel. Dip each shrimp into flour to evenly coat, then dip it into the eggs, and then coat it completely with the coconut breadcrumb mixture. You can gently press the crumbs into shrimp to adhere as much as possible. (The flour sticks to the shrimp, the egg sticks to the flour, and the breadcrumbs stick to the egg).
- Bake. Transfer the breaded shrimp onto a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes until fully cooked through and coating is golden brown. Flip the shrimp once halfway through baking if you want both sides to be crispy.
- Serve. Serve immediately with spicy mayo sauce. To make the spicy mayo sauce, combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
4. Thai Coconut Curry Red Shrimp
INGREDIENTS IN THAI COCONUT RED CURRY
- vegetable oil
- prawns - 12-15 Royal Red Shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- Thai red curry paste - the base flavour in this dish.
- coconut milk - I used regular coconut milk, but you can use lite too.
- vegetables - snap peas (or green beans), red bell pepper, green bell pepper
- seasonings - brown sugar, Thai fish sauce, fresh lime juice
- herbs - dried lemongrass, fresh basil leaves
How To Prepare The Dish
- Prepare the red curry base. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or wok on medium heat. Add the red curry paste and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in coconut milk, lemongrass and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and vegetables. Add prawns, snap peas, and bell peppers. Cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes until prawns are cooked.
- Add more flavour. Take the wok off heat and add the fish sauce, lime juice and basil leaves. Let it rest for 5 minutes and serve with rice or noodles.